Monday, May 4, 2009

Tutu's for all women


I think every woman should wear a tutu at least once in her life. Although, as far as I'm aware, I haven't..... but every other woman should. I didn't get the idea of the tutu until I went to see Sylvie Guillem perform in the Sydney Festival a couple of years ago. Actually she wasn't wearing a tutu at the time but there was a book of all her performances in the foyer and it was in there that the beauty and extravagance of the tutu was revealed to me. See below for yourself...


Perhaps because of the romantic images they evoke and even the music one hears when thinking of them, they seem such magical things. Dainty, elegant and graceful, I'm sure one couldn't help but be all those things when swishing around in one. I think it would be such fun to wear one for a wedding. The right one of course.

There are many versions to be had of the tutu and I think there is a style for everyone. As long as the bodice is fitted and fine and there is tulle involved in some way, I think that qualifies as a tutu. Here below are some versions of the tutu that are good for inspiration.



Here's the lovely Gwen Stefani in a fab Chanel tutu style dress. I realised upon finding this image that I made a dress based on this for one of my brides last year. I'll have to harass her for a pic.



The fantastic Alexander McQueen and his versions.



This is a Christian Dior dress from 1950 photographed by  Norman Parkinson. I love the fabric.



This is Norman Parkinson again. I don't know whose dress this is (the book is in my studio) but apart from its loveliness I think this is a great shot for a wedding dress with a back detail and lots of drama in the skirt like this.



Tim sent me this image, not for any reason other than he thought I would like it and it happens to fit perfectly with this post. It's so handy having another designer in the family, the more eyes to see things with, the better.... See it's still lovely even when it's a wilting flower!

Anyway, there will be more on the tutu...... x





No comments:

Post a Comment