Friday, August 14, 2009

A bygone era


Sometimes I like to imagine myself as a seamstress type person living in the early 20th century. I've just set myself up in a shop (or salon rather) and I'm making things for glamourous ladies. Maybe I have a gaggle of women who work with me like Evie and Beatrice from The House of Elliot and I go to lavish restaurants and parties like they do. 

This is my studio, so it's easy to imagine such things.... although no gossiping chooks here



Everyday I admire my painted floor which I did myself. I liked them so much I made Tim paint our floor at home. Although it should have been me as I did a much better job. He sees it as a chore whereas I like painting surfaces.


Maybe my beau could be Carlo Mollino. He could pick me up for evening drinks in his plane that he designed and flew himself. Is there anyone around these days like him? 




Anyway a lot of dresses that I make seem to be reminiscent of the 30's or thereabouts. Well that's what I thought and it's certainly what people seem to think of them, but just now, when looking for some examples of this I could only find two brides. But that's mostly because I have no say in the final styling of it all of course. Still, I think it's a good thing to have a piece that is not screamingly modern because it's really a family heirloom in a way. To be cherished and tried on again when one is feeling nostalgic, to hold pride of place in the cupboard and then finally the dress up box when the kids arrrive! 



This is Katharine. Her dress was made from a crazy Italian Macrame lace that is all squiggly and looks like string. It had a layer of silk satin and silk chiffon underneath that and the back was quite textured with pieces of Italian silk tulle and extra macrame lace. 



Some photographers can't help themselves with the old Dutch tilt can they??




This is Jessica getting married at The Carrington I think, in Katoomba. Great place. People used to go up there in the 20's to drink martinis, smoke gaspers and indulge in a bit of partner swapping!



Her dress was made with French lace on the bodice and to the waist. The skirts were silk tulle over silk satin. Her cap sleeves were also silk tulle trimmed with French lace. I think she had a sprinkling of small crystals here and there on the lace. 

But if I'd been around then I would have had the war to contend with and that would have been a bore to say the least!

x





No comments:

Post a Comment