Friday, August 7, 2009

This is my bride Anastasia who got married earlier in the year. She was very tall and willowy and a lovely girl. Although maybe not too lovely by the looks of this murderous red! It was a very simple dress and quite sexy really. 



There's no such thing as the perfect red that I can ever find in a silk. I always end up dying the fabric to get the colour I want. The first time I ever did it, I went to the paint shop and got a colour card of an almost perfect colour, then off to the make up shop for some nail polish. Once I'd painted over the card with the nail polish, the colour was right. Luckily the fabric dyer is such a clever man who never gives one any grief no matter how pie in the sky one's requests are. For Anastasia, we took the colour from a velvet top of hers. But as velvet is never a flat colour it was the depth of red half way down the pile that we wanted, not what you could see when you looked at it from above. The dyer had to look through it, which he just might have done as he got it right. I do so love this shade of red.



This is a good red too. You have to look in the middle of the leaf, not the ends....



And this is good too, although it's more of a burgundy, but you can't be too picky about that when it comes to vintage cars. You'd never get a colour like this these days..... now they're all taupey and neutral...... what's the world coming to?



The piece de resistance in red though is to be found here.
This marvelous burst of nature is as perfect a red as ever could be found. Are we all just a bunch of cheap imitators? Mother Earth has already done it a hundred times over with more aplomb and attention to detail than we sentient beings would ever dream up.  



Here is another great girl - Pip. I love these photos, she and her husband look very cool and glamourous in a nonchalant way I think. I also like the fact that he apparently does not like champagne and could care less for pretense! Sometimes I feel so sorry for some men made to play act in wedding photos. 


Pip's dress was a sort of tutu. A long version. Her belt was in a gorgeous red and it had a hand made silk chrysanthemum on it. I didn't make it, a fabulous girl called Jen did. I'll have to put her details on here. The tulle of the skirt was draped from the waist and it dropped and came up again from there. It had a slightly bubble effect in some places and not in others. Anyway it looked quite fun, delicate but not too precious. I think in years to come their kids will look at these pics and marvel at what groovers their parents were!

I hope my daughter thinks that about Tim and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment