Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I think we all have a period, an epoque if you like, that we perhaps could have lived if not now. I have a few. I would loved to have been out and about in the late 1800's, still young and fabulous at the turn of the century and then of course retaining that youthfulness in the 20's. I would gladly have been around in the late 1700's if I could have been friends with Sarah Bernhadt. None of this in Australia though of course. In Europe.

Anyway, everyone can relate to the aesthetics of one time or another. Some girls who come to the studio look to me like they could easily channel a Jean Harlowe feel, while others would suit better Grace Kelly. I think it's good to think of that when deciding on a look for yourself. As a starting point anyway, obviously we want to modernise things and move along.

Which brings me to my bride Sarah who got married late last year. She wanted a 50's feel and she chose and bought the daisy fabric herself. I did the rest while she kept urging me to add more and more tulle. Sarah actually had one of the smallest waists that I've ever made a bridal dress for, not that I can remember it off the top of my head now, but it was little! So the fullness in the skirt only accentuated it, which is perfect.

The 50's was all about miniature measurements really, for things like waists at least and a style like this would not look as good if the waist were not significantly smaller than the rest of the bits.




Anyway, the underdress was made form a silk dupion. The bodice was boned and did up with buttons at the back.


There are two colours of tulle over the top (ivory and lemon) and then the top layer is a devore daisy pattern. There are tulle pleats and tutu like pieces underneath also to give it the swing.


This is my favourite photo. I love the swing of the skirt and the Combi. And also the fact that she had a look in mind and was obviously so particular about it all being just so.

Plus she was fun to work with. x

No comments:

Post a Comment